Carpet Repair in Tulsa: What can be repaired and when to replace
All types of accidents can happen to a home’s flooring such as wrinkled carpet, pet damage, spilled bleach, burns, tears and more. This article will answer the most common questions on when a carpet can be repaired or if it is best to replace.
The following are common repairs that can be easily performed by a certified carpet repair technician and save you the high cost of replacement:
1. Loose & wrinkled carpet is the most requested carpet repair we receive in our Tulsa office. The reason most carpet becomes wrinkled over time is from poor & improper installation. Thanks to new carpet installation guidelines carpet is now installed using a power stretching tool, although in recent, this type of installation was not a requirement. This type of carpet repair can be easily remedied by a reputable carpet repair or installation technician. Be sure to request the re-stretching to be done using a power stretching tool and not a knee-kicker.
2. Torn carpet, definitely #2 on the list of carpet repair requested. Carpet torn by a family dog trapped in a bedroom and trying to get out or the cat finding a string to play with can result in a torn carpet. This type of repair can be performed by a qualified carpet repair technician by squaring off the outside edges of the tear and seaming in a matching piece of carpet. If there is no matching carpet available a small piece can be taken from a closet. When having this type of repair done the expertise of the technician will determine what kind of results you will get. If the technician is good at what he does you will have a hard time finding the area once repaired.
3. Burns such as a fallen clothes iron, a cigarette burn, or a smoking ember sparking its way out of the fireplace are all candidates for a carpet repair. This type of repair is performed the same way as a torn carpet, using a matching piece to replace the burnt area with. Anything under the size of a credit card will be hard to detect. If the area is larger you may be able to see the carpet seam somewhat but you can be assured it will always look better than a burn or hole in the middle of your living room floor.
4. Wax can be removed from carpet by chipping off the largest amount then removing the remaining wax carefully using a paper towel and clothes iron set on low. Again, you will get the best results from a qualified carpet repair technician. If this does not remedy the problem then the technician can patch in the area similar to the way a torn or burnt carpet is repaired.
5. Red Kool-Aid Stains are easily removed by a repair expert familiar with the "heat transfer" process. This type of a method is great for Kool-Aid, wine, sports drinks, coffee, and stubborn pet stains. A commercially formulated emulsifier is used to lift this type of stain from the carpet utilizing a white terry cloth towel and a clothes iron. If the stain does not respond it can be "patched" in by the technician.
6. Pet Urine that has penetrated into the carpet fibers and down to the carpet pad if contained in a small area can be restored by removing the contaminated carpet pad, installing new carpet pad and tack strip and treating the subflooring, backing, and baseboards with a sanitizer. You will want to have the carpet cleaned & sanitized as well. This process is known as pet damage restoration and works well for confined areas but does not justify cost if needed throughout much of the home.
7. Water damaged carpet can be repaired similar to the steps in #6 above. It would be a good choice to hire a certified water damage restoration company that is knowledgeable in carpet restoration and drying procedures. It is very important to remove the damaged pad as soon as possible, clean the carpet and force dry with a carpet blower or fan. If left unattended the carpet pad will begin to mildew and before long a mold problem will require further restoration or even replacement. A knowledgeable carpet repair technician will be able to determine the correct thickness and density of the pad and match it, saving you from replacing the whole room with new pad and cutting your restoration cost.
When should you replace?
1. Large areas of pet contaminated carpet should not be restored. Carpet pad is like a sponge and traps pet urine. If the pet urine has gone down deep into the pad, has heavily saturated the carpets backing, and it is not contained in a small area such as a dining room or corner of a room, then it is time to replace. Professional pet damage restoration for a whole house situation would be quite costly and would not justify cost. Remember pet urine crystalizes and turns into a gas which is why you detect it and over a period of time can cause respiratory and other health issues.
2. Worn traffic areas are not restorable. Carpet that has been "flattened" down in the main walk areas is permanent. These areas can be raised using a nap lifter during the cleaning process and maintained with a carpet rake but once a carpet has been worn in traffic areas it can be quite difficult keeping it "fluffed up" again.
3. Molded carpet should be replaced. Once there are visible signs of dark mold in carpet it is best to replace. There are products that can remove mold spores but it can be a big problem for those suffering from allergens and respiratory diseases. Also it should be noted that a carpet manufacturer’s warranty is voided once a carpet has been damaged by water.
4. Sewage overflows warrants for carpet replacement. "Gray or Black" water damage is how a restoration company classifies a water damage loss. It is always a good idea to replace carpet if there has been a sewage back up resulting in damage to your carpet. Much like the decision to replace molded carpet, an individual who suffers from allergens or has a respiratory disease will have a very difficult time with this type of bacteria in the home.
Concluding this article on types of carpet repair and when to replace, you will find most misfortunate accidents that occur to your carpet can be easily repaired. If you have a question on a particular carpet repair that has not been covered here please feel free to contact our office @ (918) 437-1956, we will be happy to answer any question you may have and please frequent our blog page as often as you like for more informative articles. Carpet Renovations, Inc. is based out of Tulsa, Oklahoma.
"name": "Carpet Repair & Stretching in Tulsa",
"description": "Carpet repair & stretching ☎ (918) 437-1956 https://goo.gl/S1DwN8 https://www.carpetrenovations.com/ https://goo.gl/maps/T1g4jN2tSwk These guys really know what they are doing. Pet damaged carpets, torn carpet, wrinkled carpet, holes, burns, tears, they do it all. One of the nice things about Carpet Renovations, Inc. along with carpet repair and stretching they also specialize in powerful truck mounted steam carpet cleaning. They truly are a one stop shop. Serving the Greater Tulsa Area Since 1986, let them put their 30+ years of expertise to work for you.! http://carpetrenovations.com/services/carpet-repair-tulsa",
}</script><!--Video Markup Code Generated by https://videoschema.com/ -->