Just How Important is Air Duct Cleaning in the Home?
If you’re a new homeowner, you may not realize just how important the air ducts are in your home. Also, you may not know that they need cleaning, beyond the vent cover you see, but we have good news for you – you can have your air ducts cleaned professionally!
Whether your home is brand new built, recently renovated or pre-existing/occupied, it is recommended to have you air ducts cleaned upon move-in and then again once a year. If there is a family member with breathing issues like asthma, having them cleaned more frequently may be needed.
What Does Air Duct Cleaning Do?
Well, first of all, a professional cleaning will reduce the allergens and bacteria that irritate allergies. Second, it will improve the efficiency of your HVAC system. Those allergens, bacteria, dirt, dust and more come in every time a door opens. They happen when you’re cooking. They happen simply because you walk through the house.
How do you know if your air ducts need cleaning? Do you have any of the following?
- Visible growth of mold inside ducts
- Excessive amounts of dirt or dust or dirt
- Signs of insects or small animals in the air ducts
Before you schedule a professional to clean your air ducts, here are some things to ask if they do:
- Open access doors and ports for the entire system to be cleaned
- Inspect the system before cleaning to look for asbestos-containing materials
- Use HEPA vacuuming equipment
- Are the carpet and other finishes protected during cleaning
- Do they implement well-controlled brushing off the air duct surfaces with contact vacuum cleaning
- Do they use soft-bristled brushes for fiberglass duct board and sheet metal ducts
- To they take steps to protect ductwork like sealing and re-insulating